BAM 1020 Beta Attenuation Mass Monitor
The BAM 1020 from Met One Instruments Powered by Acoem is a continuous particulate monitor which automatically measures and records airborne particulate concentration levels (in milligrams or micrograms per cubic meter) using the industry-proven principle of beta ray attenuation. Thousands of BAM-1020 units are currently deployed worldwide, making the unit one of the most prolific air monitoring platforms in the world.
The BAM 1020 from Met One Instruments Powered by Acoem was the first instrument to obtain U.S. EPA Federal Equivalent Method (FEM) designation for continuous PM2.5 monitoring, in addition to its longstanding EPA designation for PM10 monitoring. The BAM 1020 has also obtained the corresponding PM2.5 and PM10 certifications in the European Union. Two BAM 1020 units can also be operated together as an EPA designated PM10–2.5 coarse method. Met One Instruments Powered by Acoem supplies complete sampling accessory kits for compliance with each designation.
Operations / Interface
At the beginning of each sample hour, a small 14C (carbon-14) source emits a constant source of high-energy electrons (known as beta rays) through a spot of clean filter tape. These beta rays are detected and counted by a sensitive scintillation detector to determine a zero reading. The BAM 1020 then advances this spot of tape to the sample nozzle, where a vacuum pump pulls a measured and controlled amount of outside air through the filter tape, loading it with ambient dust. At the end of the sample hour, this dust spot is placed back between the beta source and the detector, thereby causing attenuation of the beta ray signal which is used to determine the mass of the particulate matter on the filter tape. This mass is used to calculate the volumetric concentration of particulate matter in the sampled ambient air.
All data files are accessible via an industry standard duplex RS-232 serial port using common terminal programs or Met One Instruments’ software such as Air Plus® or Comet®. The data is available in a variety of formats including daily reports, last record, all data, and new records since last download. Configuration files, error logs, and flow statistics are also available. Ethernet and USB data collection are standard.
- U.S. EPA Equivalent Method for PM10, PM2.5, and PM10-2.5 monitoring.
- Long-term unattended remote operation of up to 60 days between site visits.
- Very low operating costs.
- Automatic Span Calibration checks.
- Fast and easy field audits using common FRM audit tools.
- Bench top or equipment rack mounting in mobile or stationary shelters.
- Rugged anodized aluminum, stainless steel, and baked enamel construction.
- Highly accurate, reliable, and mechanically simple flow system.
- Hourly filter advances minimize effects on volatile compounds.
- Advanced Smart Heater technology precisely controls sample relative humidity.
- Integrated datalogger allows the connection of up to two multi-parameter meteorological sensors.
- Data retrieval through RS-232 or RS-485 serial ports using direct PC connections or digital data collection systems.
- Operation Manual and Quick Setup Guide.
- Internal Automatic Span Membrane.
- Internal Flow Sensor and Flow Controller.
- Internal Filter Temperature, Pressure, and Relative Humidity Sensors.
- Six Channel Data Logger for Accessory Sensors.
- Serial Data Cable and Modular Power Cable.
- Pump Control Cable and Air Tubing.
- Rack Mounting Brackets and Hardware.
- COMET® Data Collection Software.
- One Roll of 460180 Glass Fiber Filter Tape.
Complete Sampling Accessory Kits
- FEM2.5 Accessory kit for EPA PM2.5 configuration.
- EU2.5 Accessory kit for EU PM2.5 configuration.
- PM2.5 Accessory kit for non-regulatory PM2.5.
- PM10 Accessory kit for EPA PM10 configuration.
- EU10 Accessory kit for EU PM10 configuration.
- COARSE Accessory kit for EPA PM10-2.5 dual-unit configuration.
Individual Sampling Accessories and Options
- BX-121 & BX-122 High Capacity Gast Pump.
- BX-126 & BX-127 Low Noise Medo Pump.
- BX-802 EPA Louvered PM10 Inlet.
- BX-808 BGI PM2.5 VSCCTM Cyclone.
- BX-807 BGI PM2.5 Sharp Cut Cyclone.
- BX-811 BGI PM1 Sharp Cut Cyclone.
- BX-827 & BX-830 Smart Inlet Heater.
- BX-803 TSP Inlet with Debris Screen.
- BX-302 Zero Filter Audit Kit with Leak Valve.
- BX-305 Leak Check Valve with Hose Barb.
- BX-344 Inlet Cleaning Kit.
- BX-308 Service Tool Kits
- BX-598 Digital Temperature Sensor
- BX-597A Digital Temperature, Relative Humidity, Barometric Pressure Combination Sensor
- BX-902B, BX-903, & BX-906 Weatherproof Mini Shelter
- BX-801 Standard 8’ Inlet Tube Kit With Roof Flange
- 8112-X Custom length inlet tubes, up to 8 feet per segment
- Inlet tube extension kits, up to 16 feet total
- Phone, cellular, radio, and satellite modem kits