BC 1054 Black Carbon Analyzer
The Met One Instruments BC 1054 Multi-spectrum Black Carbon Analyzer continuously measures the transmittance of light across filter media onto which particulate matter is accumulating and in real-time calculates the black-carbon “BC” concentrations at 10 different wavelengths ranging from the near-UV to the near-IR. By employing the same widely accepted calibration constants and principles of operation as those used in the Magee Aethalometer, the BC-1054 produces nearly identical results, but at a fraction of the cost.
BC 1054 will directly connect to a variety of products, such as the BAM-1020, discrete particle size and counting modules, or a wide array of meteorological sensor inputs.
Operations / Interface
The BC 1054 automatically calculates raw, and load-compensated BC concentrations at 10-wavelengths with 1-minute time resolution. More than 1-year of concentration and diagnostic data is stored.
Our BC 1054 uses inexpensive filter media. It comes standard with an inlet heater for sample conditioning. The BC 1054 allows the user to sample at either 2 or 5 liters per minute. Inlets are available for TSP, PM10, PM2.5 or PM1 sampling at either flow rate.
For operation in very high-concentrations an optional dilution flow system is available and recommended when average BC concentrations are expected to exceed 5,000-10,000 ng/m3.
The BC 1054 employs many of the design features used in Met One Instruments’ BAM 1020 of which more than 15,000 units have been deployed worldwide.
- Tape-Saving mode for economical collection of data in high BC regions
- Optional cloud-based modem and data service permits collected data to be uploaded and stored on the Web
- Data access in near real time remotely without the need for an external data logger
- The simple sensor design requires no flow splitting, employs a single mass flow controller and is well matched for use with the filter media
- Flow checks, audits and trouble-shooting are simple to perform
- Actual flows are measured
- Concentrations are calculated under actual flow conditions but may be displayed in either actual or standard conditions
Met One Instruments’ BC 1054 is manufactured in the United States. The BC 1054 may be serviced at our factory in the United States or by any authorized Met One Instruments distributor.
All BC 1054 Multi-spectrum Black Carbon Analyzers are factory calibrated in a smoke chamber using similar methods and procedures as those used with the Met One Instruments’ BAM 1020 beta attenuation mass monitor calibration. This insures long-term and long-range reproducibility and traceability. All equipment sent in for service is re-checked against the factory reference standard before being returned to operation.